Lean T1

Trying to keep my head above this world

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My Disease


If you are a close family or friend, you probably have seen me give a shot or 
poke myself with a funny looking pen. I am a diabetic.  When I was in 4th grade, my mom took me to the doctor because I was losing weight (yet eating like a horse), always thirsty, and using the bathroom a lot. Being a diabetic stinks, but it isn't so bad if you take care of yourself, more of a nuissance.

Most people discover I am a diabetic when they see me poking myself with a needle.  After the discovery, the questions start coming:  Do you always give insulin?  Does it hurt?  Why can't you just take a pill?  I also get a lot of comments such as "Ouch" "You can't be a diabetic, you're thin." I have Type 1 diabetes which means my pancreas does not produce enough insulin, so I have to give insulin shots.  Type 2 diabetes is where you can control your blood sugars with a pill, exercise, and/or diet.  Type 2 diabetes is found in adults.

If you would like to know more about diabetes try going to www.diabetes.org.  It has good information.  You can always ask me too.  It used to bother me to answer questions, but I am now comfortable with family and friends asking me stuff, especially now that I have learned to be comfortable with the fact that I have diabetes.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Chloe @ A Creative Call said…

    Jenny,
    I don't know if I can do it, but I might want to try your blood testing machine just once. I guess you can do that for a glucose test in pregnancy instead of drinking that nasty orange sugar drink. I don't know that I have the courage to face the needle 4 times a day though. You're so brave.

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger Chloe @ A Creative Call said…

    That weird little "/* thing was supposed to be the word might in italics to emphasize my lack of confidence in the suggestion.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    Chloe- You can test your blood with my machine any time you want. You don't have to be too brave.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home